There is no substitute for going to line dance lessons but, for many reasons, it may not be the most suitable option, and the next best option is to learn from a line dance instruction DVD.
In this post I am going to suggest some things to look for / look out for and some recommendations for purchasing a line dance DVD.
Why Learn To Line Dance In The First Place.
- Meet people
- Lose weight
- It looks like fun
- Just like dancing
- Don’t have a partner
Any or all of the above may be reasons to take up line dancing as a hobby/sport/interest.
Reasons you May Want to Learn From a DVD
- Lack confidence to go to a line dance class.
- The local class has already started and you need help to catch up.
- No classes nearby.
- Local classes aren’t compatible with your schedule.
- Having trouble keeping up with your line dance class.
- Don’t have time or transport to get to class
What to Look for In a Line Dance DVD.
- An instructor who speaks clearly.
- Instructions that are comprehensive but simple to follow.
- Gives you enough information to be confident to purchase from them.
- Been around for a while – not a fly by night.
- Good customer service – shoot them an email with a question and see how readily they supply the answer.
- See if there is some genuine social proof about them – testimonials etc.
- A sample of how they teach in a video.
What to Avoid
- Instructor facing you while teacing (I can’t tell you how many videos show the teacher facing you. What this means is every time he/she moves his/her right foot (for example) you have to move your opposite foot. How confusing!
- Too much “Hollywood”. – Yes they may have the latest technology, flashy gimmics, show you moves from different angles and picture in picture, etc but it may not help you to learn. Keep it SIMPLE.
- Cheap DVD’s on Ebay. Yes they are great price but they usually don’t give much product information, like how many dances, who the instructor is etc. In my experience there is a reason they are cheap, and unfortunately the experience may even turn you off learning to line Dance.
Where to find Line Dance DVD’s
- The best way is to do a Google search on the internet. You will soon find there aren’t many available and even less good ones.
- You can look on Ebay (Beware – see last section “What to Avoid”)
- Amazon has quite a few DVD’s
My good friend Liz Collett and I make line dance DVD’s, so you could say I am biased in my opinion of our DVD’s, but from the comments and testimonials we get from people who have purchased from us, since 2005, we know we have a great product that makes it easy to learn how to line dance.
*Watch the video sample at the bottom of this page, it shows you how Liz teaches BootScootin’ Boogie on DVD Vol 1.
Liz chose each line dance to teach you different patterns or moves that make up popular line dances starting off nice and easy and gradually building up to harder moves. Even if you don’t do a particular dance on our DVD in your area, the individual moves and techniques you learn will definitely be found in many other line dances.
Check out what people are saying
“I Have a Secret Teacher in My Loungeroom”
“No hesitation in recommending these DVDs”
“Improves my blood circulation…”
“I am Going To Get Hooked…”
“Exercise and Brain Food are Both Bonuses…”
“…Wish I Had Found It Earlier…”
“I am enjoying your dvd…”
“A Helpful Tool to Learn the Dances…”
“The instructions are terrific!!…”
“Your video motivates me…”
“I am having the time of my life…”
“Liz is a brilliant teacher…”
“my dancing skills are improving rapidly…”
“you have made the dances very easy to follow…”
“extra confidence booster…”
“What an inspiration you are…”
“My Exercise Routine at Home…”
Read these testimonials in full…and more
A little about Liz
- Liz has been a full time line dance instructor since 1993 (She was my first teacher)
- Liz has been making line dance DVD’s since 2005
- She lives and breathes line dancing
- Voted Line Dance Instructor of the year 2011
- Invited to choreograph and teach a line dance for Big Brother.
- Choreographed many dances including her very popular Line Dance ““When The Last Beatles Gone”(Mp3) –
Learn the Dance for free. Intermediate level.
List of Line Dance DVD’s
(if you know of others please let me know)
Watch the Video of Liz Teaching BootScootin’ Boogie from her DVD Vol – 1